Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Windows Media Center

I'll start by saying that I love my windows media center and its DVR feature.

Sorry my friendly MSFT'ers (BTW, do you have a fun name for yourselves?) Nothing worked in windows media center after my Windows XP Media Center Edition updated to Service Pack 3. It gave errors like "Component Registration Failure" and "Some of the files needed to play radio or video are missing or corrupt. Media Center component registration may have failed" and "Critical Process Failure" and "A critical Media Center process has unexpectedly failed. If problems persist, please restart your machine and try again, or contact technical support. Code 3."

But I found a post by 1stknight (any relation to one of the knights who might read this post?) on this Microsoft website and it fixed my problem. It was in this forum: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3358277&SiteID=17

My 802.11b wireless adapter also doesn't work since the update, but I haven't tried to debug that yet, and it is a generic one that I got for like $8 at Fry's 4 years ago. I guess I'll work on that one next.

3 comments:

Mark said...

(First attempt at leaving a comment didn't work.)
No relation to 1stknight. I'm sorry you had problems with the media center, but I'm glad the tech forums helped. I don't know anyone in the Media Center group, but I'll check around. Maybe they could get a more official knowledge base article up on the MSFT site.

Other than this issue, I'm glad you enjoy Media Center. Melinda and I love it. We use it on Vista and use our XBox as a Media Center Extender. It is great.

Ben Amey said...

Mark,
I new you'd respond. I am curious if you have a nick name for MSFT employees, like "microsofters" or something.
And in the interest of being fair and balanced, every time we make a major OS update to Colette's Mac, some piece of software stops working. Microsoft is actually much better about ensuring backward compatibility.

ameybc said...

Hey now, let's leave Mac out of this! :-)