Saturday, July 26, 2008

Scrap Metal

We are remodeling our guest bathroom, and I decided to take all the brass fixtures we removed to a scrap metal recycler, OK Scrap and Recycling. I had two brass faucets, some copper pipe, the frame of our old shower doors, cabinet door hardware, light fixtures, etc. It totaled about 27 pounds. I figured recycling this stuff was better than sending it to the landfill.

I didn't really know what to expect about this scrap metal place. I thought they might laugh at my small quantities and pay me a pittance that wouldn't cover the gas to get there. Since I was going anyway, I threw in some aluminum cans that would normally go in our curbside recycling, and two old garage door opener motors. If you are wondering why I had two old garage door opener motors, then you don't know me very well.

They paid me 70 cents a pound for the 2 pounds of cans, 65 cents to 70 cents for the brass (they characterized it in two different ways. I'm not sure why.), and 7.5 cents a pound for the motors, which they categorized as "steel."

So I left with a little over $22--more than enough to cover the gas to get there and enough to make me feel like it was worthwhile. It's something to consider if you ever remodel...or replace a garage door opener :)

No comments: